14/02/2011

February 14th


I'm not a valentines fanatic (however I must state I am a total romantic), never have been wether i've been in or out of a relationship. Last year was my first valentines that I felt there a reason as to why it existed (also the first year I was with my partner), he came home with the most beautiful bunch of  flowers which he spent his lunch picking at a florists! Despite us having already discussed not getting eachother anything (we got cards and wrote loving words instead- funnily enough the exact same card which still makes us laugh), however receiving this bunch of flowers felt amazing, reason being only a few weeks earlier he'd bought me a bunch to congratulate me on a new job, and bought this second bouquet as it was now something special we shared, I never having received them, him never having given them. They made our little flat look beautiful (I did tell him off for spending the money though).

We went out for dinner last night however, to a little restaurant that we went to on a spur evening out sometime last year. We went for a meal to treat ourselves and celebrate us. Treats are a fairly  rare occurrence, spending money on work expenses, house expenses, we usually stay in together, see friends, try not to spend money, which we inevitably never have. We often do romantic little gestures for eachother, and so the feeling of 'having' to at valentines doesn't even play a part in our minds, we enjoy spending time together, doing spontaneous things, showing how much we care on a daily basis, so that throughout the whole year any one of these days could be valentines for all anyone would know. Ive always been a firm believer that if you love someone, you want to show them every day, not just on one commercial day, but thinking about it the commercial day is just for fun, give your loved one a soppy card despite them knowing how much you care, treat yourself to a night at the cinema or a long walk because you want to spoil yourself and do something fun for the day, make time to do something when you usually don't. I don't agree with buying mindless presents (personally), as i'd rather us contribute our money to have an experience, go somewhere for the day, or buy something for our home, this seems so much more romantic, and something that we'll remember.

Single or in a couple I think this day should be for about making time for your loved ones and showing them you care, whether it be partner, closest friends or  family (I have in the past given a valentines card to my parents, just to show how much I love them). Every single person should put on something pretty and celebrate loving yourself! (and someone else if there lucky enough to have your love)!
To my one and only Love; I would never be able to express the extent of what I feel

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post.
    Great blog, now following x

    www.rebeccalucyh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post and blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou so much for your lovely comments :) I've enjoyed reading all your blogs, and will be following asap! x

    ReplyDelete